To support our growth and nurture our relationship with German, Austrian, and Swiss players, we’re opening a publishing office in the heart of Berlin in 2017. To make that launch a success we need top-tier leaders to help us lay the groundwork.
That’s where you come in.
As Head of Talent, you’re an integral part of our management team in Berlin and you’ll bring a broad range of knowledge to the team in Germany. You’ll become our go-to person on all things related to talent, ranging from recruiting top-notch team members, to performance management and organizational design. You’ll get your hands dirty as you work closely with product and discipline leaders to cultivate talent programs that’ll help Rioters thrive. You’ll help drive aligned, data-informed talent decisions by acting as a strategist, coach, culture evangelist, thought leader, talent steward, and designer/deployer of tools and programs that turn Rioter potential into performance and results. You’ll introduce carefully crafted programs and processes and ensure they work for Rioters instead of the other way round. You will help make Riot Berlin the best place to work in town, and that will allow us to deliver the best experience to players in the DACH region.
As a Berlin Rioter, you’ll join a dedicated team of specialists committed to becoming the most player-focused game company in the world. You share our prioritization of player experience, rejection of convention, and intense passion for gaming.You’ll report to the Country Manager DACH and work as part of the Berlin leadership team with the Head of Operations, Head of Publishing, Technical Director, and Head of Esports as your peers.
We are looking for a humble, ambitious, and broad-thinking leader who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Help build, grow, and develop the Riot Berlin publishing team from scratch, and reach out to every corner of the world to find the ideal candidates that fit our culture.
- Drive strategic direction and execution of talent related operational needs within the local office. You’ll work with both the talent team at HQ and talent teams in other offices to cooperate and share best practices and learnings.
- Build a network of talent partners, agencies, and platforms to attract the best people
- Represent Riot Berlin at events, meeting future Rioters all over the world
- Oversee and guide benefits, partnerships, and processes, ensuring the greatest benefits to all Rioters in compliance with legal requirements
- Deliver performance management tools to teams in support of Rioters’ continued growth and awareness. You will coach individuals through the performance improvement process helping them elevate themselves to peak performance.
- Be a go-to partner for all things Total Rewards (compensation, perks, and benefits), ensuring seamless, fair, and meritocratic compensation review cycles with leadership teams. You’ll coach managers on how to address compensation needs (i.e. promotions, merit, compression, etc)
- Educate and equip leaders with knowledge on employment compliance, risks, and benefits of talent decisions as needed while also providing Rioters with conflict resolution and grievance escalation guidance
- Consult on organisation design, alignment, and change management; develop and identify high-potential Rioters through talent management practices/tools (including: succession planning, high potential programs, mobility, etc.) and ensure the seamless onboarding of new leaders
- Deploy company surveys and tools, then use data gained from them to analyze trends and make informed recommendations for organizational improvement (turnover, promotions, transfers, engagement, performance)
- Work with recruiting partners and hiring managers to support candidate selection through panel interviews, offer package support, relocation, visa assistance, etc.
- Foster our culture: it’s all about achieving the right goals to have a meaningful impact on the market, it’s not about a list of tasks to tick off
- Inspire and support the career development of our Rioters
- Provide talent and support to all disciplines, their success is your victory
- Experienced: you have at least 7 years of leadership experience in talent recruitment, development, and retention. Ideally, you’ve worked at a games, internet or entertainment company in Germany.
- Service minded: talent is at the core of everything. You provide the best candidates and develop the best team members to fit our culture and to ultimately drive the experience we deliver to players. You thrive when you see that your results impact the happiness, quality, and performance of all disciplines.
- Empathetic: you’re comfortable mingling with all types of people and you care for the folks around you. When someone needs personal or professional advice, you are there to offer guidance and, ideally, cookies.
- Trustworthy: you’re a human vault, locking confidential conversations away behind impenetrable steel and a nine-digit passcode. Whether candidly advising a teammate or admitting your own mistakes, you don’t fear the truth, always delivering and receiving feedback constructively and with maximum tact
- Approachable: you listen to others and you’re sensitive to any communication style, and that makes it easy for anyone to talk to you. Others trust you and feel comfortable coming to you with anything, so any rising problem can be tackled before spiralling into fiery vortices of bad vibes
- Player focused: you understand how your work impacts the quality of projects we deliver to players because you are a player too. You use that knowledge to develop our talent pool in order to improve the overall experience of all our games and events.
- Strategic: you have a broad vision of how to successfully navigate today’s competitive job market. You know what it means to have a fun workplace that treats its talent as its most precious asset.
- A leader by example: you build, lead, and inspire teams by walking the talk. You’re self-aware, you humbly seek and accept feedback, and you remain open to constructive criticism. You recognize failure and learn from mistakes.
- A modern thinker: you stay up-to-date and ahead of the curve of talent and team methods. You follow academic research and methods implemented at other innovative companies, whether in DACH or abroad.
- Agile and organized: roadblocks, constraints, dogmas, none of these scare you. Your energy is positive and focused on finding solutions to deliver your vision to all players. You show a clear “can-do” attitude and lead by that example.
- A strong communicator: you have excellent communication and presentation skills in English
- Talent driven: you know how to support Rioters in their career development, you hold frequent development discussions and set stretch goals. Ultimately, you love to see all team members succeed and grow in their careers.
- Educated: you studied or used agile project and team management (such as SCRUM, XP, etc.), lean processes (such as Kanban), and/or objective driven management (such as OKR). Basic German is not required, but useful for cultural context, local vendors, and for living in Berlin.