Responsible for the overall strategic planning and management of the human resources function (HR) for The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB), creating and implementing human resource management strategies, programs, and processes to support the mission and goals of UTMB. Serves as the Chief Human Resource Officer and key organizational advisor on all aspects of human resource management including recruitment and staffing, placement, organizational development, orientation and training performance management, compensation, benefits, employment law and employee relations services. The Vice President Human Resources and CHRO works collaboratively with the executive leadership to ensure the delivery of effective customer focused human resource programs and practices that meet changing organization and workforce needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Partner with the Executive Vice President/Chief Business and Finance Officer in driving organizational effectiveness
- Responsible for managing HR departmental operations and strategic planning.
- Is knowledgeable and understands policies and procedures. Maintains an internal control system to ensure that activities/business transactions are in compliance with applicable public policy/regulations, Regents’ Rules, and UTMB policy.
- Reviews and evaluates the quality and quantity of HR services, daily operations and support systems that address issues within the University, and implements strategies to improve services and programs.
- Is knowledgeable of current issues in the academic healthcare field and applies them to UTMB.
- Is knowledgeable of current issues in workforce planning, talent acquisition, total rewards, talent management, employee assistance, talent development, employee health, HR Systems and Technology, and employee relations.
- Recognizes the existence of problems and takes the initiative to solve them based on their root causes. Exercises good judgment and creativity in the utilization of appropriate resources to produce desired organizational outcomes.
- Develops and uses appropriate HR operational metrics to achieve operational effectiveness and acceptable progress in achieving strategic goals.
- Develops recommendations on policies, procedures, and programs to support objectives consistent with UTMB’s mission and goals.
Administrative and Supervisory
- Assumes responsibility and takes ownership of own work as well as that produced by the department, ensuring that work is completed in a timely manner, while using resources wisely, and providing appropriate levels of management control.
- Assesses the capabilities of staff members and provides needed guidance, information and mentorship.
- Fosters an environment that values diversity and inclusion.
- Evaluates staffing levels and develop projections to meet operational needs.
- Prepares budget recommendations, and monitors and controls HR expenditures.
- Provides fiscal management, ensuring responsible budget allocations and expenditures.
- Initiates, develops, and supports employee development activities.
- Designs, implements and provides management oversight for all HR disaster recovery and business continuity solutions.
External Relations and Development
- Serves as a liaison with University of Texas System offices to ensure compliance and representation of UTMB in System policy and procedures.
- Develops and maintains strong collaborative relationships with key organization members at all appropriate levels.
- Represents UTMB HR to UTMB components, outside agencies, and serves on intra- and inter-unit committees.
- Has a broad knowledge of the Institution’s operations and services.
- Demonstrates ability to present and sell ideas.
- Adheres to internal controls and reporting structure.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Inspires confidence and respect from institutional leadership, faculty, staff and other contacts within the institution.
- Uses tact in relationships with associates and others within the institution.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude in achieving organizational outcomes.
- Is active in professional organizations.
- Enhances skills/knowledge by maintaining an active continuing education program.
- Master’s degree in Human Resources, Business, Management, Public Administration, Psychology, or related field and considerable progressively responsible work experience in one or more human resource specialties is required, such as, talent acquisition, compensation, etc.
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience with a minimum of 5 years in a senior human resource management position.
- Deep knowledge of employment law and regulations.
- Doctoral Degree in Human Resources, Business, Management, Public Administration, Psychology, or related field.
- Senior-level human resource management experience in an academic medical center.
We Offer You
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.